Super Penetrating Adhesive & Filler 1 Quart
Super Penetrating Adhesive & Filler products are acrylic based adhesives and fillers designed for use with natural stone, especially granite. They range from clear to translucent in color, fast setting, and easy to apply. Super Penetrating Adhesive & Filler is a thin liquid that flows like water and is designed to fill fine cracks and reinforce stone. All the formulations are cured using a benzoyl peroxide hardening paste.
These formulas are best suited for interior applications on natural or cast stones. They are especially well suited for granite and marble applications. Uses include the following:
- Consolidating Slabs
- Laminating Slabs
- Repairing Stone
- Patching Breaks in Stone
- Reinforcing Fragile Material
- Filling Stone Pores
- Fixing Stone Chips
This adhesive & filler product is easily colored to match any stone using our
Polyester Coloring Pastes. The best shade can be obtained by mixing the product to a shade slightly darker than the actual stone color.
Directions for Use
This acrylic adhesive & filler is most effective when used according to the following instructions:
The first step to using this product is to start with a clean, dry surface. This is acheived by taking the following steps:
- Using an appropriate dergent, clean the surface thoroughly making sure to remove all grease, oil, dust, or dirt from the surfaces to be bonded.
- Completely dry the surfaces for best results. Although this adhesive filler product will bond to moist surfaces, dry surfaces respond better and you will get better results if the surface is completely dry.
- When mixing, the ideal containers for this product are ones made of polyethylene plastic; since this product does not bond well with this type of material.
Just like the method of preparation, mixing this stone filler adhesive works best when the proper procedure is used. The following is a list of things to keep in mind while mixing the
mastic and the hardener:
- If you are coloring or tinting the adhesive, add the coloring paste(s) to the mastic before mixing the mastic with the hardener.
- Use hardener at the rate of 2% to 4% of the weight of the mastic for the best curing and bond. This is approximately a 1/2" to 1" bead of hardener for every tablespoon of mastic.
- Additional hardener speeds up the curing time. However, it comes at a price, using more hardener than the recommended amount causes a deeper yellowing and reduces the strength of the bond.
- If too little hardener is used, it will cause the mixture to not cure properly.
- The curing process can be affected by the ambient temperature. Warmer temperatures speed the curing process, while temperatures below 32°F (0°C) will require heating the mixture to start the curing process.
- Product should be thoroughly mixed for best results.
- Crack sealer remains workable until gelling occurs.
- This product becomes rubbery when gelling happens.
- Crack sealer should not be worked once gelling has begun.
- Excess material may be removed with a razor or chisel.
- These products should not be worked once gelling has begun.
When bonding stones together, clamps and jigs should be used to ensure a thin bond layer (less than 0.016 inches (0.4 mm)) is achieved, thereby providing the strongest bond. After curing, the stone piece may be further processed without damaging the material.
After use, equipment may be cleaned with toluene or acetone. Hands should be cleaned with Waterless Hand cleaner or an appropriate solvent such as Cupran.
Always keep the container tightly sealed when not in use, and never expose the hardener to temperatures in excess of 100°F (38°C).
Products are chemically inhibited to extend
shelf life and improve product consistency. Storage temperature, however, is an extremely important factor in maximizing the shelf life of the products. The materials should be stored in a cool environment (50°F (10°C)) whenever possible and should never be exposed to direct sunlight.
If these procedures are followed, these products should have a shelf life of at least one (1) year.
Precautions and Safety
Observe all measures as described on the container and product MSDS. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, and respiratory system. Use protective gloves and work in a well ventilated area.
Wood and Stone Acrylic Technical Data
||Transparent Extra Penetrating
||Transparent Knife Grade
|Viscosity at 77 °F (25°C) (mPa.s)
|Pot life at 77°F (25°C) (2% hardener, minutes)
||13 to 17
||8 to 11
||8 to 10
|Curing Time (Thin film, minutes)
||30 to 40
||20 to 25
||15 to 20
|Shore D Hardness (ASTM D2240)
|Tensile Strength (ASTM D638)
|Compressive Strength (ASTM D695)
|Flexural Strength (ASTMD790)
View Printable Technical Data Sheet